outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
When the World Was Flat (and we were in love) - Ingrid Jonach E-galley received through Netgalley for review.

Lilli Hart is a sixteen-year-old girl who lives with her hippy mother and loves photography. When she meets handsome Tom Windsor-Smith, she's immediately attracted to him. He, on the other hand, doesn't seem interested. Lillie has the feeling they already know each other; she has strange dreams and memories that doen't seem her own. Slowly, Lillie and Tom get to know each other, and Lillie learns that Tom has been hiding an astounding secret.

This is a would-be sci-fi story including space-travel (sort of like time-travel, but between different spaces/dimensions), but it actually reads more like a romance. It was an engaging read, even though a bit confusing sometimes. Some of the characters made stupid decisions (Lillie forgives a boy who almost kills them both by crashing his car on a whim); there is also a very brief hint of love triangle, but it is clear from the start who Lillie prefers. The main character's best friends are one tomboy, one slutty - pretty stereotypical from young adult novels. I didn't like this part at all - how Lillie's friend Sylv was shamed for going after boys, wearing revealing clothes, and so on.

The ending is open; I suppose it works as a stand-alone, but there could also be a sequel. I don't know if I'd be interested in reading it. I think one book with this subject is enough, though.