outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Blue is for Nightmares - Laurie Faria Stolarz Stacey Brown is a junior studying at Hillcrest, a wealthy boarding school. She's also a "witch" who practices natural magic with candles, herbs, and plants. Three years ago, she had nightmares about the little girl she was babysitting; she ignored the warning and the girl was kidnapped and killed.

Now Stacey is having similar nightmares about her best friend and roommate, Drea, and is determined to do everything she can to save her. Drea starts receiving strange phone calls, notes and packages from a mysterious guy. He sends her lilies - the flower of death - and says he will be coming for her soon. Can Stacey stop him?

I read this book in one sitting. It actually was a re-read, as I had already read it a couple of years ago, but now I'm determined to read the entire series. It's a fast-paced thriller with an original twist - the magic Stacey is practicing. She learned it all from her late grandma. Stacey's spells are described in detail, and she sometimes find inspiration from a family book containing spells from her ancestors.

What I didn't like very much in this book is that the friendship between Stacey and Drea doesn't seem very strong. Yes, Stacey risks a lot to go and save Drea, but they don't feel very close as friends. It takes a while before Stacey can confide in Drea about her nightmares; and Drea humilates Stacey by revealing her secret to their other friends at the cafeteria. Plus, Drea and Stacey seem to be after the same guy, Drea's ex boyfriend Chad. He doesn't have any feature that make him special; he's just there.

Something that really bothered me in the author's Touch series is that the main character never goes to the police or to her parents to ask for help, even though someone has been stalking and threatening her. Stacey is smart enough to go to the police, even though they don't actually believe her.

It is also slightly weird to me that only one student at such a prestigious prep school seems to have a cell phone. I realize this series was written in the mid-2000s, but cell phones very quite widespread then.

The solution to the mystery is a tiny bit predictable, but this is still a good book. I have high hopes for the other books in this series.