outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer Bella: "Should I be afraid?"
Edward: "Terrified."

I finally managed to finish Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. It's a massive book--it resembles a brick, actually--and it took me the better part of a week to get through it at top speed. In this review there will be no spoilers, as long as I can help myself--just my thoughts on the Twilight saga and its closure.

I discovered the Twilight saga a year ago. Mostly I was curious and wanted to know what the hype was all about. I read Twilight and didn't think it was very much of a good book. Then I went on to read New Moon and discovered Jacob Black-the marvellous Jacob Black, my favourite character of the series--and I sort of got addicted. Eclipse was even better than New Moon: I was all set on Team Jacob, even though I knew perfectly well that it was never meant to be.

The best thing about these books, seriously, is their beautiful book covers. Don't they appeal to you? The lush black cover with a single drawing on it. New Moon's cover was probably the most striking, with Breaking Dawn coming second.

I know I should have issues with this series--about how Bella is always so helpless and in need to be saved, about how Edward is always so incredibly, annoyingly perfect. But the truth is, I don't really care. These books are fun and I like them. I don't love them the way I loved the HP series--not even remotely close--so this means I'm not that involved with the characters, not in the way the Twilight fandom seem to be.

This might be the reason why I can't understand why a large part of the fandom is so angry at Stephenie Meyer for ending the sotry the way she did. I thought Breaking Dawn was a good book; not as good as Eclipse, but good nonetheless. Some plot twists felt a little crazy, but they have their own reasons to be, I suppose. Breaking Dawn brings the characters to new levels of maturity, and brings closure to the story with a big, fat happy ending. So why should the fans be upset? Please exlain it to me, because I don't really get it.

To sum it up, I liked how Stephenie Meyer completed her Twilight saga. Of course, it you don't like to read how perfect Edward is and how many times he kisses Bella oh-so-perfectly, this might not be the book for you. But I bet you already knew that.