outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Story of a Girl - Sara Zarr They made us clean our lockers on the last day of sophomore year. I tore down the class schedule I'd taped to the inside of the door at the beginning of the semester and tossed it into the pile of recycling that already included ninety-five percent of the crap I'd busted my ass to do all year. What was the point of all that so-called learning if, in the end, it was going to the trash?

After reading a particularly interesting review at Maw Books Blog, I went to look for a copy of Sara Zarr's Story of a Girl. This is the hard, bittersweet story of a sixteen-year-old girl named Deanna.

Deanna made a mistake when she was thirteen: she had sex with a seventeen-year-old boy, and was discovered by her father. Now that she's entered high school, she's still braded as the school slut, and her father can't look at her in the eye. It doesn0t matter that Deanna hasn't touched a boy since Tommy: her mistake semms to have defined her forever.

Deanna has a lot to deal with. Things at home aren't going well for her: her father's angry and distant, her mother is tired, and her big brother is a young parent living with hsi girlfriend and their baby girl in his parents' basement. Deanna also has two best friends, Jason and Lee. Too bad she has a crush on Jason, while he's dating Lee.

When Deanna gets a job for the summer, she happens to be working at a pizza place with Tommy, the boy she once was with and who still teases and provokes her. Can she mahage to leave her past behind and go on with her life?

I really liked this book. The reader's made to feel for the main character, a girl who once made a mistake and who can't let this get past her. A girl who's made remembering her sorry past every single day of her life. Deanna's only outlet for her feelings is dreaming that one day she will be able to move in with her brother and his girlfriend, and writing stories in her journal.

Deanna's story is a search for her own identity, a quest to find out that she is who she wants to be, and not what otehrs think that she is. I'd definitely recommend this book, and I can't wait to try out some other novel by Sara Zarr.