outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood - Marjane Satrapi, Mattias Ripa, Blake Ferris Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is my very first graphic novel. Imagine my joy when I foudn a copy at the local library! I didn't think they had graphic novels there, and now I discover they have both Persepolis and Persepolis 2.

Persepolis is the story of Satrapi's childhood in Teheran from six to fourteen, between the late Seventies and the early Eighties. The only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. She witnesses he overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. I was surprised at how powerful her black-and-white strips were.

I loved Marjane's character: intelligent and outspoken, she always tries to find ways to rebel to the impositions of the Islamic Revolution. The book ends with Marjane's departure from iran at fourteen, when her parents send her to study in Austria.

I liked this book very much, and I'll be certainly looking out for Persepolis 2.