outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
A Corner of the Universe - Ann M. Martin On early summer mornigs. Millerton is a sleepy town, the houses nodding in the heavy air. Not even six-thirty and I can see the humidity seeping through the window shades and covering me like a blanket. Everything I touch is damp.

I'm pretty sure I am the only one in the house who is awake. I lie in bed for a while, listening to the birds. I'm not about to spend the morning in bed, though, even if it is the first day of summer vacation. Some of my classmates wait all year logn fr summer so that they can sleep late every morning. Not me. I have way too much to do.

I picked up the Italian translation of A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin at the library. It's a slim YA book about the summer of Hattie's 12th birthday, which changes her life forever.

In the summer of 1960, Hattie Owen turns twelve. She lives in Millerton, a small town, with her parents, who run a boarding house. During the summer, Hattie learns that she has an uncle nobody told her about before - a twentyone-year-old named Adam. Adam is coming back to Milelrton after his "school", an institution for the mentally disable, is about to close down. Hattie learns to know Adam and his quirks, and learns to be his friend, even though it's not easy to keep the pace of his moods.

This is a sweet, sad story about a girl who learns something valuable about life and friendship. I liked this book very much.

Buy A Corner of the Universe from the BookDepository.

post signature