outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
An Abundance of Katherines - John Green The morning after noted child prodigy Colin Singleton graduated from high school and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath. Colin had always preferred baths; one of his general policies in life was never to do anything standing up that could just as easily be done lying down. He climbed into the tub as soon as the water got hot, and he sat and watched with a curiously blank look on his face as the water overtook him.

I decided to read An Abundance of Katherines by John Green after reading Nymeth's review. She wrote (I'm quoting from memory), I'm starting to think that John Green can do no wrong. I'm starting to think it too :)

The main character in Katherines is Colin Singleton, a child prodigy who fears he'll never become a genius. As the book opens, Colin has just graduated from high school and has just been dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine. He's very miserable, when his best friend Hassan suggests that they go on a roadtrip to take Colin's mind off Katherine XIX. The two boys end up in Gutshot, Tennessee, where they make friends with a girl named Lindsey Lee Wells and land a job interviewing local people for an oral history project.

But Colin's real mission is another: to prove his Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of any romantic relationship between two given people. Will he manage to complete his research, gain fame and success, and get the girl of his dreams?

This book is hilariously funny. Its strenght is probably in characterization: the main characters (colin, Hassan, and Lindsey) are teenagers trying to figure out their place in the world, so that by the end of the book you'll want to have them as your friends. Colin, in particular, is an amazing character. Fluent in eleven languages and a wizard at anagrams, Colin tries to read 400 pages a day. His goal in life is to matter, to be relevant in some way. Was I the only one who thought the most extraordinary thing was for him to have had nineteen (or rather, eighteen) different girlfriends at the end of his high school years, (when most geeks I know in real life had not so much of a social life during their teens)?

Anyway, I loved Colin. And Hassan always telling him "Not interesting!". And Lindsey. And just about everything in the book. I loved it way much more than Looking for Alaska, which was very good, yes, but a bit heavy in my opinion. You can't go wrong with this book. Highly recommended.

I just can't wait to read Paper Towns!