outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return - Marjane Satrapi, Anjali Singh I was awaiting eagerly the possibility to read Persepolis 2: Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi, the second volume of her autobiography in the form of graphic novels.

In Persepolis, we left Marjane as she was about to leave Iran for Austria to attend a French secondary school. As Persepolis 2 opens, she has just arrived in Austria, where she lives first in a boarding house run by Catholic nuns and them in a flat shared with other eight gay men. Marjane feels uneasy in Austria, but manages to find a niche for herself with friends and acquaintances who share her feelings about their place in the world.

After a series of unfortunate events cause her to live in the streets for three months, at the age of nineteen Marjane decides to go back to her native Iran. There, she has to wear a headscarf and accept a society strictly divided by sex and ruled by fundamentalism. However, guided by the example of her strong grandmother, she starts to test the limits of that fundamentalism, both in the streets and in the classrooms of the art school she attends. She comes to understand that "one person leaving her house while asking herself, 'is my veil in place?' no longer asks herself 'where is my freedom of speech?'". After marrying the wrong man and giving up her dream to find a place for herself in Iranian society, she decides to leave Iran for good.

I found the second part of Marjane Satrapi's autiobiography in form of a graphic novel to be even more entertaining and pleasant to read than the first one, probably because of the emphasis given to more "adult" themes.