outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Hourglass - Myra McEntire I read this book last year, when it came out. I didn't love it, but didn't dislike it, either. At first I thought it was a stand-alone novel, then I read somewhere it was supposed to be a series. A few weeks ago I received the second book in the series, Timepiece, for review through Netgalley. I couldn't remember much of the first book, so I thought I could read it again. It's a good book, I suppose. Only I'm not ecstatic about it, for some reason I can't quite explain.

Seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole has been living with her older brother Thomas and his wife since the death of her parents. She has a special ability: she can see people from the past. For this reason, she spent a few months in a mental institution. Now she's better, even if she still sees these strange people. She thinks they are ghosts.

In order to help his sister, Thomas hires Michael Weaver, a guy a couple of years older than Emerson. She's diffident at first, but then she realizes he, too, can see the people from the past, whom he calls "rips". They're immediately attracted to each other, to the point that when they touch they feel some sort of electrical spark. But Michael insists in keeping their relationship strictly professional.

Michael works for a mysterious organization called "Hourglass" and is very secretive about it, until Emerson forces him to tell her the truth: she can travel in time, more specifically to the past. As he can travel to the future, they form a couple who can travel through time; and Michael needs her help to prevent the murder of his mentor.

I found this book an interesting take on time travel, which isn't such a common topic in paranormal YA, so it still feels fresh. The whole "chemistry" thing between Emerson and Michael felt a bit overdone - sparks and electricity going out while they touch? Really? - but it was a minor thing, I guess. Among the threads left unexplored, I'm wondering about Murphy's Law, the Cuban cafè run by Emerson's friend Lily and her grandma. I don't think it was necessary to the plot at all; so I guess it will become important in future books. Especially Lily's particular ability in locating things. Which would be damn useful; you wouldn't lose anything!

It would seem that the second book in the series is better than the first. I hope so, because if it turns out to be worse, I don't think I'll be reading on.

Cover attraction: the cover style sort of reminds me of an artist I think I studied in school but can't really identify. Maybe someone in Post-Impressionism? Anyone has any idea? I really love the font.