outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Blood Magic - Tessa Gratton I had to wait more than a month to get this book thourgh inter-library loan. The queue was long, but the wait was worth it. It's a very good book that I read in just one sitting.

Silla Kennicott is sad and depressed after the violent death of both her parents. She now lives with her older brother and grandma Judy. One day she receives a package containing a small leatherbound book full of magic spells in her father's handwriting. She tries them, and they work. Silla and her brother can do magic. Silla's new neighbour is Nick, who just moved there with his father and stepmother from Chicago. It turns out that Nick can do magic, too; it was her mother who taught him when he was little, before she went insane and tried to kill herself. Silla and Nick fall in love, but they need to be careful, because someone wants Silla's magic book...

I liked it very much that this book is practically a stand-alone; the next book in the series deals with the same theme, but new characters. Still, maybe it would've been good to have new adventures of the same characters, because I loved Silla and Nick together. Even if their love story happened maybe a bit too fast.

Blood magic sounded very creepy in this book, because of the fact that Silla and Nick had to use their blood to make the spells work. Still, it was believable. Suspension of disbelief was not a problem at all.

I hope we learn more about "The Deacon" in the next book. The second book in the series, The Blood Keeper, will be out in August, but galleys are already available on Netgalley. I hope my request gets accepted.

Cover attraction: lovely! I love the flower/blood drop that generates birds; I find it a very clever concept. The paperback cover looks different (why do hardbacks always have the prettiest covers? Why? So that people will have to spend more to buy them?), and while it sort of reflects more the book content, maybe it was done to attract male readers as well. Or at least, the paperback cover doesn't make it immediately clear that it's mainly a "girl" book.