outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
City of Lost Souls - Cassandra Clare Another much-awaited book in the Mortal Instruments series. I didn't like the previous one, City of Fallen Angels, too much; I thought it wasn't really "necessary", as the story wrapped up quite nicely in City of Glass. But then came the huge cliffhanger at the end of the fourth book, so I was eagerly awaiting the new adventures of Clary, Jace, and co.

City of Lost Souls starts two weeks after the events in the previous book. The Clave has been searching for Sebastian and Jace, with no results. Clary, Alec, Isabelle, and Magnus have been trying to track them too. But Jace can't stay away from Clary, and comes back to take her with him. Thus, Clary learns a shocking truth: Jace and Sebastian are now linked, and hurting one equals to hurting the other. Plus, Jace is not the same boy Clary fell in love with; his will and ideals submit to Sebastian's. Clary tries to discover Sebastian's evil masterplan, while the rest of the gang is looking for a way to sever the link between him and Jace.

I liked this book far more than City of Fallen Angels. It seemed way more interesting: the link between Jace and Sebastian, Valentine's apartment, the search for an angelic blade... I loved the travelling apartment. Think of the benefits: one day in Paris, two in Rome, one in London, three in Berlin... Ah, the wonder. Travelling without leaving your home. The stuff dreams are made of (well, I'm exaggerating, but still, I'd love it). I also liked that we learned a bit more about the Iron Sisters and got to see Jocelyn in action.

I liked it how Clary can't really bring herself to care for Sebastian, yet she isn't so sure he doesn't care for her. I had the distinct feeling Sebastian's feelings for Clary are more than slightly incestuous (gross), but still, he makes for a very interesting character. The relationship between Alec and Magnus is another interesting point. I was almost sure of how it would end, what with Alec plotting with Camille and everything. Seriously, Alec, can you be more stupid than that? But I'm also prety sure they will be together again by the end of the series. The name Camille taunts Magnus with - Will - made me extremely curious. Was Magnus in love with Will Herondale? I guess we'll only learn about it in Clockwork Princess. Which is still ten good months away. The suspense is killing me.

As for Simon, will he and Isabelle get together already? Also, I wonder what will happen to him now that (spoiler!) he doesn't have the Mark anymore. I guess Rafael will try to kill him. Not cool. I love Simon to pieces. And I very much need my own "Clearly, I've made some bad decisions" T-shirt!

I'd recommend this book to fans of the series. If you haven't started this series so far, what are you waiting for?

Cover attraction: beautiful. Probably the most beautiful cover in the series so far, and I believe it refers to something actually happening in the book (doesn't Clary wear a red dress at a certain point? Well, she does, but Jace was wearing the same colour then, so it's not really accurate.) I read it somewhere Clary will be on all the covers for the second part of the Mortal Instruments series. I guess the next cover will feature Clary and Sebastian. I also would've loved Jace and Sebastian together for this book or the next one. Too bad the publisher vetoed that.