outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
The Body Finder - Kimberly Derting Multihued light radiated up from beneath the water, centered among the reeds, and then diffusing outward as it reached the surface. Violet had never seen anything like it, and she knew that the spectrum of light was defying its very nature by behaving in that way.
It could only be one thing.
There was something dead down there.

I've always wanted to start reading The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting, but couldn't track down a copy. I finally read the first book, and it was awesome.

Violet Ambrose is a sixteen-year-old with a secret special ability: she can sense the dead bodies of those who have been murdered. Since she was a small girl, she has been drawn to the bodies of small animals lying around and felt compelled to give them a burial. Only a handful of people know about this - her parents, her uncle (who is the police chief in their town) and her childhood best friend, Jay. As she starts her sophomore year of high school, Violet realizes her feelings for Jay have changed and she is embarrassed at her attraction to him, especially since he seems to have his very own fan club among the other girls.

Now, however, Violet must deal with bigger problems: there's a serial killer on the loose in town who targets teenage girls, and she's the one who can recover their bodies. More to that, she can feel the "echo" of murder attached to people, which means she's the best chance for the police to find the killer before he makes other victims. But the killer has realized that Violet is special, and now might be targeting her.

I found this book very refreshing. It's paranormal YA, which is a genre I'm not very partial of, but it's very close to contemporary, as the only paranormal aspect is the heroine's special ability. Yes, it's a big thing, but the dangers Violet has to face are very real, as much as her feelings and emotions are quite easy to relate to. She's in love with her childhood friend, and increasingly jealous of the attention other girls are paying him, not that he's grown so attractive over the summer. Then she's surprised and happy when she learns he loves her, too. Jay is as good a love interest as they come - swoony, loyal, and fiercely protective of Violet. I love him already.

I thought this was a trilogy, and that the third book in the series, which was published last spring, was going to be the final one. From a quick check on goodreads, it turns out I was wrong, and there's a fourth book coming out in April 2013. I want to go on reading the second and thrid book, but now I'm sort of wary that the thrid book will have some sort of big cliffhanger that is going to leave me biting my nails until next spring.

Anyway, I loved this book; it's the perfect start of a great new series. I'm definitely going to keep reading the next boos, as well as Derting's other series, The Pledge, set in a dystopian world. I'd recommend The Body Finder to thriller aficionados and to those readers who like some tension in their YA books.

Favourite quotes:
"I swear that boy can't function without you, not even at lunch."
“I knew we were going to be together; it was just a matter of time. I kept hoping that you would figure it out. But for a smart girl, you’re a little dense, Vi. I kept bringing up Lissie Adams, and showing you the notes she was leaving me, hoping that you’d get pissed enough to finally admit how you felt about me.”

Cover attraction: I like it a lot. For once, we don't have a girl in a pretty dress, or even a girl at all. The flower gives the book an overall creepy feeling that matches the content very well. The other books in the series have the same flower on the cover, only in a different colour. I love the concept.