outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Truly, Madly, Deadly - Hannah Jayne Sawyer Dodd is dating the most sought-after boy in school, Kevin Anderson. But when he dies in a drunk driving accident. she's secretly relieved; he was an abusive boyfriend. Then Sawyer finds a note in her locker from a "secret admirer" which says simply, "You're welcome". When she starts suspecting that Kevin's death might not be an accident, other people who were making Sawyer's life difficult are killed, and Sawyer's secret admirer is watching her every move.

I found this book very suspenseful. The pacing was very good and kept me on my toes. I could not guess who the killer was, and the final outcome was a surprise.The book has a very creepy tone. Sawyer has just moved with her father and his pregnant wife into a new house in a neighbourhood which is mostly empty. Plus, the admirer's notes also contribute to the creepiness.

However, there are also some flaws. The most obvious would be that Sawyer is admitted into a police office and allowed to look at the files on a policeman's desk because she claims there is "homework" left for her. I don't think this is realistic at all. Sawyer, then, never thinks of going to her parents. Moreover, the ending feels a bit abrupt; after the murderer is revealed the story ends, and there's no real resolution or mention of the main character adjusting to the revelations.

All in all, a good book. I read it all in one sitting.