outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society - Beth Pattillo Sometimes life has to unravel before you can knit it together...
I was lucky enough to win The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society by Beth Pattillo from a giveaway hosted at Michelle Sutton's blog. So thank you, Michelle, for sending this book to me! I loved every minute of it.

In Weekly Geeks #12 fashion, I'm going to do an interview-review for this book, aswering the questions I was asked in this post.

Joy Renee asked: How does the title relate to the story? Was it fitting?
Yes, it was very fitting. The book follows the sotires of the characters taking part in the Knit Lit society over a period of about six months. During this period, many changes take place in their lives, but the central event remains the meetings of the Knit Lit Society.

Jennie asked: How do Knit and Lit work together for a Knit Lit society?
The Knit and Lit Society meets once a month. Each month Eugenie, the town librarian and leader of the Society, assigns a book to read and a knitting project to complete before the next meeting. The knitting project is always related in some way to the book--for example, when reading Heidi, the assignment is to create a felted lunch bag for Peter.

Jennie asked: What role does knitting and/or reading play in the book?
Knitting and reading are the leading themes of the book. Each month, the characters reflect on the books they're reading and compare the heroines in the books to their own lives. As months go by, the characters' live become knitted together ina way, so that they learn to care deeply for each other.

Somer asked: Have you read any of the currently popular knitting-related books (The Friday Night Knitting Club, Knitting, or The Knitting Circle are the ones that come to mind), and if so, how does this one compare?
No, sorry, I haven't, so I don't know.

Kim asked: How is the characterization in the Knit Lit Society? Do you find yourselves caring about the characters? Do you feel like you know them?
Characterization was my favourite part of this book. I really got to care about the characters. Eugenie, the town librarian, has always led a controlled, rational and lonely life, when a shadow from her past comes to haunt her. Merry is a stay-st-home mum of three whose family is growing, but who feels her identity is slipping away. Camille, who is 24 anmd runs a boutique, dreams of leaving town but has to take care of her terminally ill mother. The sisters, Ruth and Esther, must confront a lie they have lived with for thrity years. And Hannah, a troubled and neglected teenager, is introduced by Eugenie to the group.
I think the best fleshed-out character was Merry; her caring side as a mother was beautifully portayed. My least favourite charatcer was Camille, who is closer to me in age, but whom I didn't like very much.

Dewey asked: I'm interested in The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society because I'm a knit-lit sort of person, but what I would like to know is whether this book would only appeal if you're so into knitting and lit that you can't help but like it, or whether any reader, even one who doesn't knit, would enjoy it.
I think anyone would enjoy it. I can't knit to save my life, but I loved this book.

Bookchronicle asked: If you had to briefly, in a sentence or two, categorize this book -- what would you say?
The lives and stories of the participants to a knitting book club become knitted together.