outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Freak of Nature - Julia Crane E-galley received through Netgalley for review.

Before her accident, Kaitlyn decided to donate her body to science. She didn't expect she would wake up to find out that her body and life had been stolen from her. Now she belongs to a scientific organization, ICIS, who transformed her into a cyborg: part human, part robot. They want to make a war machine out of her in order to seel her to the army. They took all her memories and her ability to feel pain and feelings. Kaitlyn, however, secretly can still have feelings. In particular, she has a crush on the young scientist she is working with, Lucas. He has feelings for her as well. As Kaitlyn struggles to find out about her past, they fall in love.

This is the first book in a series, and actually not that much happens. The book opens as Kaitlyn is already part machine, and remembering nothign about her previous life. They tell her she's seventeen, but they won't reveal where she lived or how she came to be so close to death that only their intervention could save her life.

I liked Kaitlyn as a character. She's brave and spunky. Sher's determined to do whatever it takes to get her life back. She's also very generous and wants to help others. Lucas is a young, brilliant scientist. He's devoting his whole life to his work and keeps to himself. Kaitlyn, however, goes past his reserve and they form a connection.

I think I'm going to read the next book in the series. I hope we find out more about the ICIS organization and more about Kaitlyn's previous life (and possibly, her family).