outofbluebooks

Out of the Blue

Italian book blogger. Loves Jane Austen, ice cream, and the colour blue.
Sidelined (Entangled Teen) - Kendra C. Highley E-galley received from the publisher for review.

Imogen (Genna) Pierce has trained her whole life to play basketball in college. It's her mother's dream as well as her own. Now she's a senior in high school, the team captain, and has a chance of winning the state tourney. University scouts are inviting her to visit colleges, and she's now dating the football quaterback on whom she's had a crush for years. However, during an important match, she has a bad accident and can no longer play.

Genna is broken and defeated; she doesn't know who she is anymore, if she can't play basketball. Her parents keep fighting, and her mother buries herself into work. Genna also can't understand why Jake would still want to be with her. Frantic to make the pain stop, she turns to Vicodin.

I read Sidelined in one sitting. It sucked me in and I had to know how it ended. It also broke my heart. It's the story of a girl who gets addicted to medicinals and does whatever she can to get her next dose. At first she's doing it unconsciously; the pills help her relax and forget about her dailyu troubles. Then she can't control it any longer. It's a vicious addiction , even more so because Genna denies, at first, that she has a problem. Her boyfriend tries to help, but she pushes him away.

Genna's relationship to her parents is not ideal. Her bond with her mother seems to depend on basketball; her mother was a player herself when she was younger and has always coached Genna. When the girl can no longer play, she feels her mother grow distant, more focused on work than ever. then she learns that her mother has been having an affair. With Genna's dad, things go better; he's always been the more accomodating parent. But when he's the only one left to take care of Genna, things get strained.

The romance subplot is also present. I loved Jake; he was a sweet, supporting boyfriend. The love story was nice to read.